From: Rolf Hopkins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 8:19 PM
To: Cal Evans; Jonathan Dugan; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: <synopsis of the problem (one line)>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cal Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jonathan Dugan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 0:43

> Greetings Jonathan,
>
> There are a couple of ways that you can add a user. the best way is to
grant
> that user permissions on an existing database. If the user does not exist
> then it will be created. That's the way I do it because then I don't have
> beg my ISP for insert/update permissions on the mysql database. I'm not
sure
> how to delete a user this way, maybe someone can chime in and help us both
> out.

Cal,  REVOKE is usually the way to remove permissions from a user.

> If you have CrUD permissions on the mysql database then you can add the
> users manually by inserting them into the user table in the mysql
database.
> Since I've not delved into the complexities of the host table and the db
> table, I don't usually do it this way. But you can do it, just remember to
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES when done or the changes won't take effect. (Which
usually
> has the effect of driving you insane until you remember to do it.)

Definitely not a good idea unless you understand how the privilege tables
work.  Even then it is safer to use GRANT and REVOKE.

> I've worked with MS SQL and Oracle (just a little bit, not much) and I can
> say that once I understood how to do it, I really like it.
>
> Have you looked at one of the GUIs, Webmin or phpMyAdmin?
>
> HTH,
> Cal
> http://www.calevans.com

What is the command you're using to log in?

> >How-To-Repeat:
>

> Install MySQL.
>
> >Fix:
>

> Better documentation.
>
> >Submitter-Id: <submitter ID>
> >Originator: Jonathan Dugan
> >MySQL support: [none | licence | email support | extended email support ]
> >Synopsis:
> >Severity:
> >Category: mysql
> >Class:
> >Release: mysql-3.22.25 (Source distribution)
> >Server: /usr/bin/mysqladmin  Ver 7.11 Distrib 3.22.25, for pc-linux-gnu
on
> i686
> TCX Datakonsult AB, by Monty
>
> Server version 3.22.25
> Protocol version 10
> Connection Localhost via UNIX socket
> UNIX socket /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
> Uptime: 16 sec
>
> Threads: 1  Questions: 1  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 6  Flush tables: 1  Open
> tables: 2
> >Environment:
>
> System: Linux iscb.stanford.edu 2.2.16-3smp #1 SMP Mon Jun 19 19:00:35 EDT
> 2000 i686 unknown
> Architecture: i686
>
> Some paths:  /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/make /usr/bin/gmake /usr/bin/gcc
> /usr/bin/cc
> GCC: Reading specs from
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
> gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)
> Compilation info: CC='egcs'  CFLAGS='-O6 -fomit-frame-pointer'  CXX='egcs'

CXXFLAGS='-O6 -fomit-frame-pointer           -felide-constructors -fno-exce
> ptions -fno-rtti'  LDFLAGS=''
> Configure command:

./configure  --enable-shared --enable-assembler --with-mysqld-user=mysql --w

ith-unix-socket-path=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr
>  --libexecdir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --localstat
ed

ir=/var/lib/mysql --infodir=/usr/info --includedir=/usr/include --mandir=/us