Obviously I'm wrong, but I would expect that if the server can respond via another
connection then it should be able to kill the unresponsive one?  It should
have control over it's own threads.

When the rogue query is running the server is still very responsinve to other
queries, now connections and administrative requiests (ie, SHOW PROCESSLIST)...

At this time the server itself is not totaly unresponsive (except on a single
processor win32 machine, when a bad query runs, you might as well step
away from the computer and go get a cup of coffee).. On unix or multi-proc win32
the server is still happy to perform new requests..