I'm trying to install the latest stable mysql on Solaris 2.6.
Seems like this should be a snap, since the developers work on
Solaris, but it's not - at least not for me.

I'm using gcc 2.95.2, gmake, and I even exec bash, to make sure
that I can follow the instructions in INSTALL-SOURCE precisely.

My config command is -
    CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O6"      CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O6 -felide-constructors
    -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" ./configure
    --prefix=/local/sol/2.6/depot/mysql-3.23.33 --with-low-memory
    --enable-assembler

just like in the doc, with the exception of --prefix.

Doing it this way, mysql compiles, but will not pass the tests.

    Installing Test Databases
    Removing Stale Files
    Installing Master Databases
    ld.so.1: ../sql/mysqld: fatal: libz.so: open failed: No such file or
    directory
    Killed
    Error:  Could not install master test DBs

I've tried --with-named-z-libs=/opt/local/lib/libz.so, but that
also fails in the same manner.

I've tried --without-named-z-libs, but then configure fails, claiming
that it can't find -lno.

At one point, by NOT following the INSTALL-SOURCE instructions, I
managed to build a version that would run the tests, but a significant
number of the tests failed, so I gave up that experiment.

There are also several warnings about shared versions of crypt, gen,
etc, but I'll deal with those later. I just want to build a working
mysqld first.

Anyway, there must be something basic that I'm doing wrong. (I'm new
to Solaris, so it's possible that I'm missing something that would be
obvious to a Solaris guru.)

Thanks for any suggestions/solutions.
Steve
--
Steve Sizemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, (510) 642-8570
Unix System Manager