I have a puzzle..

Frequently, about, weekly? our data server gets into a state
where
  select distinct(keyfield) from table
hangs in the 'sending data' phase, or the 'sorting result' phase,
the client is left waiting for the result, no rows are returned,
no errors are in the sql server error log.

I've had to write a monitor to kill these off as they show up.
otherwise they accumulate, use all CPU and never die.

I used to think the fix was to take the server offline and isamchk
them, or run 'optimize table' from mysql> but today I've found
out that that is NOT the problem..

I found this because after it happened, I took a file copy of the
problem table, to table_new
then did an isamchk on it -- no errors!
So then I did the same query on the new copy
  select distinct(keyfield) form table_new
instant success!
  select distinct(keyfield) form table
still hangs consistently!

On disk,
 cmp table.ISD table_new.ISD
 cmp table.ISM table_new.ISM
shows they are bit for bit identical!

So the server has itself is confused, and the way to fix it
is to restart mysqld (although that does not always work), the
problem might occur with the same query on another table, or not
go away until the table is 'alterd' in some no-op type way...

file descriptor use is heavy but below 1024 limit:
ls /proc/NNN/fd | wc
491

This is version 3.22.32 - the binary FROM MYSQL.COM ..

max_connections 100
key_buffer=300m
max_allowed_packet=1m
table_cache=300