Dear All

I've been using apachetoolbox - a shell script that installs apache with
the options of including lots of modules (php, mod_ssl, mod_perl etc
...).  Its great for installing a custom apache (something I do all to
often ;-).

It offers a menu and will download / configure / complie any need bits
and peices.

It will also install MySQL into a /usr/local/mysql.

I'm trying to improve this will the following "features":

- Add a mysql user and group (fail silently if they are already there).
- install into /usr/local/mysql-$VERSION (configureable)
- symlink /usr/local/mysql-$VERSION to /usr/local/mysql
- datadir is set to /var/lib/mysql
- run install_db
- Chown -R mysql:mysql /var/lib/mysql
- complie mysql in a similar way to how the "Offical" mysql binaries are
complied, here is my configure line:
        --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static
        --with-mysqld-user=mysql
        --without-debug
        --without-bench
        --datadir=/var/lib/mysql
- enable assembler if on an i x86 platform
- enable tcpwrappers it libwrap is installed

I could change the CFLAGS as well for optimisations if thats handy.

If anyone thinks it would be handy I could make the datadir configurable
- but I do not want to pollute the thing with too many questions.

Has anyone any comments on this (the RFC bit ?) ?  Obviously this will
be a comprimise as alot of admins install stuff in different places, and
different platforms install things in different places.

This is not supposed to be a mysql installer - if you don't want to
complie from source then use the binaries or RPMS.  What this is
supposed to be is an improvement to the way apachetoolbox deals with
mysql.  Thats all.

Comments / suggestions welcome.

Greg