Hi,

We are implementing a linux cluster, and rather than get gouged by oracle
(in performance and licensing) would muuuuuch rather use MySQL.  I searched
through the archives and found several references to failover and
replication but still have some questions.

If I understand correctly, replication creates a working copy of mysql on
another server, but it looks like the algorithm to automatically change
master will not be added until mysql 4.x (from 11.4 in the manual).  Is this
still the case?  Im not sure when that was written, perhaps there is news on
this front?

But if this is truly the case, and the slave will not automatically take
over the master server role with 3.23.33, what options are there for linux
to make this happen? Replication is great, but it is only useful for us if
the slave is utilized immediately in the event of master failure.

I would love to hear the definitive response to this (if there is one), and
suggestions and ideas.

Thanks!
Bryan