Since upgrading to mysql 3.23 and using MYIAM tables, I'm experiencing a
problem which is becoming more and more common. When conducting queries
which take more than about 15 seconds to run (ie mass deletes, mysqldumps,
check table etc), I end up with corrupt tables. The database server is the
backend of a webserver which runs tens of queries per second - hardly an
extraordinary load.

Errors include

DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't open
file: 'tbl_job_events.MYD'. (errno: 145)

as 'Wrong bytesec' errors.

Most tables in the database have between 1000-5000 rows, while a couple
have 200,000 and 1,200,000. My first thought is that I need to play with
the -O startup paramaters to add extra table cache, etc, but have never
had to play much with these. Anyone got any ideas ? I'm running on a
P3-833 with 512M Ram, under Linux (kernel 2.2.17).

thanks,