Hi,

We are implementing a linux cluster, and rather than get gouged by oracle
(in performance and licensing) would muuuuuch rather use MySQL.  I searched
through the archives and found several references to failover and
replication but still have some questions.

If I understand correctly, replication creates a working copy of mysql on
another server, but it looks like the algorithm to automatically change
slave to master if the master dies will not be added until mysql 4.x (from
11.4 in the manual).

Is this still the case?  Im not sure when that was written, perhaps there is
news on this front?  I also did not find a expected release date

Does anyone have any stories/suggestions/experiences in regards to rolling
our own monitoring script?

Thanks!
Bryan