I have a similiar situation where I've got a huge database that maintains data for
quite a few clients.  Queries have gotten extremely sluggish.

What I'm working on right now is to have a control database with a single table that
contains a unique identifier for each client and a database name.  When they log in it
figures out the name of the database to use by looking in this table.  Each instance
of the program only accesses this one database (after finding it in the control)
Since all of the programs that make up the suite call the same routine to establish a
connection, it is a fairly painless update that I hope will provide substantial
performance increases.

The only drawback to this is if you need to run a lot of reports across clients.  A
few administrative reports wouldn't be so bad, but I wouldn't want to like construct a
web page on the fly based on a query accessing 50 different data sources.  Since this
isn't the case here, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm by no means a guru, but this just seems like a logical way to handle the problem.
If there is some major logic flaw here, please let me know now! ;)

--James
[EMAIL PROTECTED]