Hello

I'm run a family/pedigree database with about 250.000 records of dogs.
The dogs are mostly (to 90%) searched by name.

To find similar records I have my own 'soundex' colums wich is searched
and ofcourse indexed.

table dog
 id       int4    (indexed)
 name     varchar
 soundex  varchar (indexed)
 fatherid int4    (indexed)
 motherid int4    (indexed)

My problem is:
 I want to search for my own definition of soundex.
 Thats why I have my own soundex column.

Question:
 - Is there a way to define my very own soundex or string-translation
   funktion?
 - Can I build an index on an self defined function?
 - Can I even define my own function without compiling mysql?
   Because my Provider wouldn't let me do this.

Thank for answering
Gunnar von Boehn