You might want to take a look at this site:
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tanoviceanu20000912.php3

--Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: Van [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 8:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Simple Multi-Master/Slave Fail-Over Set Up {Was Re: parallel
Mysql ?}

Michael Widenius wrote:
> We plan to use the following algorithm on top of our current
> replication code to achieve this:
>
> http://www.fault-tolerant.org/recall/
>
> Regards,
> Monty

Greetings All:

2 Parts...

Part 1:
I reference the above because the Recall project hasn't had any activity
since
September 2000 and, after wasting 2 1/2 hours building the ACE and Pth
dependencies want to know if MySQL still has interests in the Recall
project, or
just the algorithm, and, if so, what is the algorithm?  This might seem a
brain-dead question, but, what the Screenshots on the Recall web-site
display
looks promising and could have viable uses for a multi-node application;
specifically a fail-over multi-node; multi-master/slave MySQL
implementation.
Unfortunately, recall-0.8 cannot be built on any of my systems.

Part 2:
Specifically, I'm building the following high availability configuration.  I
have two networks, and potentially others once the proof of concept is in
place.  The primary site runs several stand-alone MySQL applications for
several
domains on one server.  Mostly web-server logging.  So, this server needs to
update itself.

The second network will have 5 IP addresses and each will run a fully
mirrored
Apache/MySQL application server.  Each will track it's own traffic.
Additionally, I'd like it to update all other nodes with traffic activity.
Unique ID's on auto-increment fields aren't a consideration.  Each server
will
simply log the hit and notify each slave that it should update itself.  Each
node should be a master and a slave.  If one slave goes down, it will be
notified by the nearest (network distance; that is) master of the updates it
needs.  Since this slave is also a master, it will need to notify the
nearest
slave to replicate any data that was saved to the server that just came back
up,
if any.

On paper it looks simple.  Reading the master/slave implementation currently
available, I don't see that the current state of replication can support
this,
but, perhaps the above algorithm is similar to the Recall algorithm.  If so,
what's necessary to do this, and, what are the complications in having each
node
be a slave and master and all nodes listen to each node for updates as well
as
notifying other nodes when updates are needed?

Thanks for any useful thoughts.

Best Regards,
Van