hey,
   i'm running serveral mysql servers on powerful
machines - dual processor, 2 GB memory, etc... Most of
the databases store temporary data only.  I need the
maximum performance from these servers and have a lot
of connections to the database.
   My problem is this - whenever the number of queries
sent to the database increases, or the CPU usage
increases under heavy load, mysql crashes.  This has
been a consistent behaviour.  The system is under
testing phase and the servers just give up under a
reasonably heavy load.
   This is the my.cnf file -
[mysqld]
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=640M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=10M
set-variable    = table_cache=640
set-variable    = sort_buffer=6M
set-variable    = record_buffer=6M
set-variable    = thread_cache=16
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=16
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
log-bin
server-id       = 1
set-variable    = max_connections=2000
set-variable    = max_connect_errors=10000
set-variable    = back_log=2900
set-variable    = connect_timeout=15
set-variable    = wait_timeout=57600
set-variable    = interactive_timeout=57600

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=256M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=256M
set-variable    = read_buffer=2M
set-variable    = write_buffer=2M

[myisamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=256M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=256M
set-variable    = read_buffer=2M
set-variable    = write_buffer=2M

According to me, the database should become slow under
heavy load - it should not just crash.  The backtrace
is also incomplete.  And it is consistent for every
crash.  Any ideas why this could be happening?  I'm
using PHP to access the database on RH 6.2 with kernel
2.4.2.  I'm using latest versions of everything.

Thanks,
Vinod