Hello Greg,

Saturday, March 17, 2001, 3:31:53 AM, you wrote:

GC> It would be very handy if Innobase (and the GEMINI when it comes along)
GC> where to support mysqldump in the standard way, as I assume it works as
GC> such and I and many others would have to change thier backup scripts.
GC> Delayed index creation is very usefull (in saving time) in larger DB
GC> loads via a mysqldump - Hiekki is this difficult ?

I as well as insertion speed is 90% limited by idex creation (at least
for myisam) there could be an optimization generic for all table
handlers, done on mysql level - at first to create tables without any
keys, then insert all data in it and then run alter table to add all
keys what should be in this table.

The only problem I see here - i don't know how innobase/bdb will
handle tables without primary key... i think perfomance should not be
so good as with myisam. Still  there is a possibility to load all data
to myisam and then run alter table which adds all indexes required and
then converts the table to format required on the same pass.

I'll try to do some benchmarks accordint to this to se if it does any
speed improvement.

--
Best regards,
 Peter                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]