Van wrote:
> Simple question:
> Where do I put the my.cnf file?  It's nowhere on any of the servers except the
> user directories who use it.

Disregard above.  I've been using mysqld to start the server since 1998.  Hadn't
looked into safe_mysqld since I've only noted that mechanism on RedHat and don't
use it RH.

Have reconfigured the slackware mysql server to start with safe_mysqld and with
/etc/my.cnf with useful options for replication.

Unfortunately, the slave is in a long mysamchk -o process after tarring the dbs
from the master (master is a dual Slack, while slave is a single; shouldn't
matter, but, the communication packets problem is preventing replication,
although I can see the slave connecting to try and get the updates).

The saga continues....

Van