Got any suggestions on how these could be implemented? particular table
types/setups/etc?

I basically have a situation where 300,000+ rows are being inserted into a
log table daily, and also needing to be cleared out based on a tstamp. What
I've found is that the inserts work fantastic, but when I got to do the
delete, even if it doesn't do anything, it sits there and blocks everything
on the server for 20-30 minutes.

Is this because of the lack of row-level locking on MyISAM tables? Should I
switch to a different table handler?

Right now, I'm using multiple merge tables, split up to divvy up the space
used. Certain log entries are getting kept longer than others due to the
decreased volume those hosts generate.

-- Nathan