Hello,

I'm a MySQL newbie (hopefully, there's a few others of me around so I won't
feel like I stick out so much).

I've setup a Linux box running Red Hat 7.0 with Apache 1.3.12, PHP 3.0.18,
and MySQL 3.22.32 (I know its an older version, but our web hosting service
has not upgraded their version and it does not sound as though they plan to
do so any time soon).  All seems to be running well, except for the
unfortunate problem that I cannot get mysql to start.

I have followed the steps in the documentation provided with the source
code from mysql.com

I have MySQL installed at
/usr/local/mysql-3.22.32/

when I type

mysql.server start

I am told that either the file does not exist or I have no permission to
use it.  I'm logged on as root, and I've setup the user and group to mysql
as the manual states.

Has anyone else had any difficulties getting MySQL and RedHat 7.0 to
work?  As I said, I'm rather new at this so I'm grabbing at straws.

Thank you

-Tim