This is documented in the manual as a "kernel fork bomb". See manual for solution.

--
Richard Ellerbrock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> "Paul Coleman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2001/03/21 12:35:28 >>>
I am running mysql version 3.23.35 on a linux platform.
The hardware platform is a PIII 700 with 500Mb of ram and a fast SCSI drive.
The server is currently supporting about 200 concurrent connections, with a
view to up this to a couple of thousand.

My problem is the time it takes to make a connection to the server from the
network. This can be a matter of minutes. Connections on the local machine
are not a problem, and once connected query speeds are fine.

The max_connections variable is set to 1000.
The load average on the machine is about around 0.5.

Any light anyone could shed on the problem would be greatly appreciated.