Hi Nick,

I think u have to make the following.
go to mysql prompt:

use mysql;

then
select * from user;

is there an entry for the mysql client and the user on it?
i don't think so.
so u have to make a new entry.
then:

grant all on *.* to username@clienthostname

username (username u are connecting with from client)
clienthostname (hostname of your client)

after this is done make the following from your mysql directory:

bin/mysqladmin -u root flush-privileges

hope that helps....

regards
denis