S Lemmon writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > My main experience is with Informix databases, but am trying MySQL on
 > our web server (ver 3.23.33 running on Linux 2.2.16-3). In general
 > it's working well, but being a MySQL newbie I'm a bit mystified by
 > some odd select behavior.
 >
 > With Informix, doing a simple select like "select * from foo" (no where
 > clause or order by) will always return results immediately regardless of
 > how many rows are in table "foo". However, in my test MySQL database,
 > when "foo" is a large table I get a long pause before any results come
 > back and (even odder) another long pause when closing the statement
 > handle after fetching a few rows. MySQL's CPU usage also shoots way up
 > during these pauses. Are all the results are being buffered up somewhere
 > before anything is returned, and then, I'm guessing, purged when the
 > query is finished? It's odd that the closing pause is often longer and
 > more CPU intensive than the opening one.
 >
 > With Informix, initial buffering only happens if something like a
 > temporary table or index has to be created. Otherwise the results are
 > returned as they are found by the db engine scanning through the table.
 > In any case, there's no delay when closing. With the MySQL database, it
 > seems the larger the potential result set, the longer both pauses
 > become. In most cases I can get around it by just trimming the results
 > with LIMIT, but when I actually need to iterate through a large table,
 > wouldn't buffering up perhaps millions of rows cause problems (if that's
 > what's really happening)?
 >
 > Really, I'm not sure if this is a bug, some problem with my tables, or
 > just the way MySQL works. I'd be grateful if someone could shed some
 > light on what might be causing the pause, or if it's normal, perhaps a
 > better way to loop through all the rows in a large table without
 > building up a potentially huge temporary buffer somewhere.
 >
 > Thanks for your time,
 >
 > S. Lemmon

Hi!

With :

select * from table;

queries MySQL returns results immediately.

Any problem that you experience might come only from poor build, some
OS bug or some wrong settings.

Regards,

Sinisa

     /*/\*\/\*\   /*/ \*\ /*/ \*\ |*|     Sinisa Milivojevic
    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             /*/             \*\                Developers Team