> There's only one variable that will affect this situation, which is
> tmp_table_size. I have mine currently set to 16Mb also. However, your
> usage may be the key here. Are your queries optimised and using
> indexes in the proper places? Not having queries use indexes is bound
> to result in temp tables being created all over the place. Also, maybe
> your server is running low on memory because of other processes?

We're not so much concerned about why temp tales are being created,
although maybe we should be, but why temp tables are having to be
written to disk.  Temp tables are initially created in memory and only
written to disk if they become too large, correct?

Queries that use group bys and sort bys will create temp tables,
regardless of index usage, correct?  If so, then that would explain
most the the temp table creation for our installation.

Thanks for the reply,
Erik