Hi there,

        I recently upgraded my Linux kernel to 2.4.2 and my perl DBI/DBD
and now MySQL is behaving strangely.  If I'm logged into my system as root
I can see that the mysql server is up and running and I can access it just
fine using either the root database login or a user login.  However, if
I'm logged into Linux as a regular user I get an "ERROR 2002: Can't
connect to local MySQL server through socket 'var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'
(13)", even if I try to log in with the root database password.  This
is also the case when my CGI scripts attempt to access MySQL using a
user login.
        I checked the documentation on this but it seems stranger than
the described Error 2002 situations.  The error log for the localhost
does not show any record of the failed connections.  Any idea what's going
on here?  Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Regards,

Craig Cummings, Ph.D.

Relman Laboratory
Stanford University School of Medicine
Department of Microbiology and Immunology

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone:  650-498-5998
fax:    650-852-3291