You are first suppose to start the daemon through safe_mysqld which is under the mysql
bin/ directory, or through mysql.server which is under mysql's share/ directory (info
about both on the webpage)
Running one of these will actually get your deamon running (and create the desired
/tmp/mysql.sock) and from then you can use the rest of the utilities like mysqladmin.

regards,
thalis