hey,
    i've been observing a similar kind of a problem
with mysql 3.23.32 on a Linux 2.4.2 kernel.  The
backtrace that i'm getting is different, but even that
fails a sanity check.  When i resolved the incomplete
backtrace, it showed me thread creation functions and
something of that sort.  The mysql server that i have
crashes when the machine approaches 100% CPU usage.
Someone told me that a 2.2 kernel downgrade will solve
the problem; but i dont want to do that.  I've tried
on different machines and the problem remains.

Tx.
Vinod.
--- Voytek Lapinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
Ok... I've posted briefly regarding this, but heres
> [...]
> 1.6Gb swap
>
> Linux lisa 2.4.1 #7 SMP Fri Feb 16 15:21:45 EST 2001
> i686 unknown
> IBM Rackmount Server 325 - Dual Pentium Pro-200 -
> 512Mb RAM, 1Gb Swap
>
> And using mysqld versions 3.23.32,3.23.33 and
> 3.23.35. To confirm that the
> problem isn't related to libraries, compilers or
> configuration specific to our
> build environment, I have also tested the standard
> linux-i386 binary distro of
> 3.23.35, and the problem also exists there.
>
> The error message takes the following form:
>
> mysqld got signal 11;
> The manual section 'Debugging a MySQL server' tells
> you how to use a
> stack trace and/or the core file to produce a
> readable backtrace that may
> help in finding out why mysqld died.
> Attempting backtrace. You can use the following
> information to find out
> where mysqld died.  If you see no messages after
> this, something went
> terribly wrong...
> Cannot determine thread, ebp=0xbffff108, backtrace
> may not be correct.
> Stack range sanity check OK, backtrace follows:
> 0x813fefa
> 0x813f6dd
> 0x8081690
> 0x8081b14
> 0x808127e
> 0x8145e4b
> 0x8048111
> New value of ebp failed sanity check, terminating
> backtrace!
>
> Naturally with different values for the stack
> backtrace depending on version
> (the addresses look similarly spaced though, so it's
> probably the same thing).
>
> The problem appears to be related to connections
> which occur at roughly the
> same time. I have written a script which reliably
> causes it to occur and have
> included it below. It operates by forking off lots
> of processes all of which
> connect and disconnect to the database repeatedly
> until it goes down. In most
> cases, the database will crash within seconds,
> although rarely it seems
> to take significantly longer (several minutes). The
> problem I am referring to
> is associated with local UNIX domain socket
> connections, but when I briefly
> tested connecting over TCP/IP it (or something else
> similar) still occurs in
> that it eventually stops accepting connections on
> that port (although the
> database is still running and generates no errors).
> This may be something
> else entirely though, and I have not investigated
> that at all.
>
> While this case seems somewhat artificial, we were
> seeing the same crashes
> under normal operation of our application which
> seemed to be associated with
> the activation of a process that frequently will
> fork of 6 new processes, all
> of which attempt to connect into the database

dbh=DBI->connect('DBI:mysql:database=test','test','test',{PrintError=>1,RaiseError=>0});
>             exit unless (defined($dbh));
>             $dbh->disconnect();
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> my $start=time();
> my $wait_ret;
> do {
>     $wait_ret=wait;
> } until $wait_ret == -1;
>
> print ((time()-$start)."s\n");
>
> --END OF SCRIPT---
>
> The [mysql] section of our my.cnf is:
>
> --START CONFIG--
>
> [mysqld]
>
> port        = 3333
> socket      = /tmp/mysql.sock
> skip-locking
> set-variable    = key_buffer=32M
> set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
> set-variable    = thread_stack=128K
> set-variable    = tmp_table_size=8M
> set-variable    = max_connections=200
>
> --END CONFIG--
>
> But I have tried more conservative values for
> key_buffer (down to 4M),
> thread_stack(64K) and tmp_table_size(2M).  The
> problem also seems to occur
> with values of max_connections anywhere from 20 to
> 10000 (Yeah I know 10000 is
> silly with LinuxThreads, but I thought I'd do it to
> see what happens).
>
> When invoking mysql, many options have been used,
> but the most conservative
> settings we tried were
>
> /usr/local/mysql-3.23.35-bindist/bin/mysqld
> --datadir=/data --user=root
>
> The problem can be made to take longer to happen by
> a few things, but of
> course this is rather subjective. It is harder to
> trigger when using the
> 3.23.35 binary distro, trying on the faster machine
> and using larger values
> for max_connections. We have been unable to make it
> go away entirely though.
> Eventually, it will always go down.
>
> <whew>
>
> that's it... I'm happy to provide any more info, as
> we would really love to
> see this fixed.
>
> Oh yeah, another weird thing that we noticed while
> testing this that may or
> may not be related is that once in a while when
> running the test script, a
> user would appear to be logged in as their password
> instead of their login
> name. No investigation was done on this issue.
>
> --
> Voytek Lapinski [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Software Engineer     Hotkey Internet
> ph:  03 9923 3656   mob: 0427 469 891