Jack, Mysql,
  Well, my thought is that I can only compile zlib as a static library.  I
can't compile it shared.  I think this why the binary distribution of mysql
doesn't work is because it is looking for shared resources of
libz.a.  I could go through the pain of compiling this, but the AIX
freeware distribution site has a copy of mysql3.23.27 precompiled which does
work fine.  I know its not the very latest, but its relatively close and it
works.  -Thanks for your assistance!
 Tim