I have a problem getting the mysql started. I am running
slackware linux version 7.xx. Apparently mysql is installed.
I downloaded the linux binary package of mysql and installed it.
the mysql is installed in /usr/local/mysql. The problem is that
mysql ** immediately ends **. Here is one of the ways I try to start MSQL.

export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT=/tmp/mysql.sock
export MYSQL_TCP_PORT=3307
export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT MYSQL_TCP_PORT
/usr/local/mysql/scripts/mysql_install_db
I get the following response:
Installing all prepared tables

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h netwall -p password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run
the ./bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be
able to use the new GRANT command!

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd . ; ./bin/safe_mysqld &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
directory:
cd sql-bench ; run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

# Starting mysqld daemon with database

# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
010327 00:16:22  mysqld ended

*************** Question 1 **************

    ****** cant some tell me why did it end ? what did it not like ?????
******

What is the problem that causes it to terminate. Could it be because
safe_mysqld is alread running?
When I do a `ps ` I see many mysqld procs. running. But I cannot start
the interactive mysql session anyhow...

*************** Question 2 **************
I try to set a password and I get the following message:
# ./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p YES mypassword
Enter password:
./bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'
(11
1)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

****************** question 3 **************************
Why does the start of mysqld fail ?
# ./bin/mysqld &
[1] 6867
010327  0:18:17  Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address already in
use
010327  0:18:17  Do you already have another mysqld server running on port:
3306
 ?#
010327  0:18:17  Aborting

[1] + Done (1)             ./bin/mysqld

EVEN THOUGH I GET A MESSAGE THAT SAYS MYSQL ENDED A CHECK OF THE
PROCESSES SHOWS I HAVE MYSQLD RUNNING. I EVEN HAVE safe_mysqld
RUNNING.

# ps -aux|grep mysqld
root      3671  0.0  0.0  1788    0 pts/2    SW   Mar26   0:00 [safe_mysqld]
root      3709  0.0  0.0 18572   32 pts/2    S    Mar26   0:00 [mysqld]
root      3711  0.0  0.0 18572   32 pts/2    S    Mar26   0:00 [mysqld]
root      3712  0.0  0.0 18572   32 pts/2    S    Mar26   0:00 [mysqld]
root      6869  0.0  0.7  1316  468 pts/2    R    00:18   0:00 grep mysqld

yet I cannot connect to the mysqld anywhere....

# mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock'
 (111)

HOW CAN I START MYSQL. HOW CAN I TELL IT WHAT PASSWORD TO USE ?

HOW DO I CREATE THE SOCKET IT CANNOT CONNECT THROUGH ?

It says :
   To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
   to the right place for your system.

WHAT MIGHT THE RIGHT LOCATION BE FOR SLACKWARE LINUX VERSION 7.XX ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

/// thanxxxx /////