I'm converting a MS Access database to a mySQL database. All seems to be
fine. But I have problems with MS Access fields of the type (german)
OLE-Objekt (probably OLE object in the English version). These fields are
converted to LONGBLOBs.

In Access, I can fill these fields with graphics or other OLE objects
either embedded or referenced. Even with Access as a front end to a mySQL
server it is possible to copy and paste data into these fields. But as soon
as I leave the data set and come back, the fields seem to be empty. I
receive no error message at all. It only seems to be so that Access cannot
handle the information in the field in the right way. Access front end with
a genuine Access database can determine the type of the OLE object in the
field, Access with a mySQL server database can't. Is this true?

Please give me information as concerning this problem and how to handle
graphics and embedded object with a mySQL server.

Thank you in advance

Per Warter

University of Hamburg
Research Centre 538 Multilingualism