Hi,

 I have been trying to get Mysql up and running on my Solaris 8 box and I'm having a
few problems.

 - I downloaded the binary distribution Sun Solaris (Sparc) [Sun Solaris 2.7]
 - Using the instructions from the online Documentation I was able to install
   MYSQL into /usr/local/mysql without any problems.
 - When I execute the command 'bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &' I received the
   following message and MySQL is not running.

dislink# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/usr/local/mysql-3.23.36-sun-solaris2.7-sparc/data
010329 09:18:39  mysqld ended

    If I repeat the command without --user=mysql. The mysql starts but is
    running as root.

 - Also, I can not change the 'root' password.  I receive a prompt to enter
   the orginal password,  but I don't know what the default password was set
   too.  This is a new install. Can someone tell me the default password for
   'root'.  Here is the command I used.

    '/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h dislink -p password 'my_password'.

 - Finally, is there a version of mysql other then the Beta version that is
   available for Solaris 2.6 that does not use libraries from 2.7 or 2.8?
   I was able to compile the latest version of mysql using the gcc. But mysql
   will not run due to library errors.  Sluething on my part showed calls to
   libraries that don't exist on Solaris 2.6.

Dave Ansalvish