There is a binary tarball on www.mysql.com that works on the retail
release of Mac OS X.  I have also built from the .36 source, but that
requires editing one line of source code.  Here are directions:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/a/Mac_OS_X_Public_Data.html

Look at the user comments.  The line in mysqld.cc is actually 1241 in
.36, IIRC.  Once you make that edit mysql compiles and runs.  I haven't
done extensive benchmarking, but it does work.

HTH.

Zach