Lindsay and Eric has been ever so helpful but no matter what I do I can't get this
installation right. I am no on my sixth re-installation.

In the manual it says:
"If you would like to use mysqlaccess and have the MySQL distribution in some
nonstandard place, you must change the location where mysqlaccess expects to find the
mysql client. Edit the `bin/mysqlaccess' script at approximately line 18. Search for a
line that looks like this:
$MYSQL     = '/usr/local/bin/mysql';    # path to mysql executable    "

Guess what? Ther is no such line in my mysqlaccess.conf

Do I really need to change that?

For some strange reason following the manual step by step doesn't work. Half the
commands come back with a "no such command" As far as I know the machine I'm
installing on is running RedHat(I think) and apache.
I have full rights to my account and can do what I want in it.

Anyway - so if I skip the above thing and go on (I'm trying to install as I type this
so you lot is gatting a first hand look at how I'm doing - screendumps and all.)

Running the mysql_install_db gives the following:
[stage1@butler mysql]$ scripts/mysql_install_db
Preparing db table
Preparing host table
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'
./bin/mysqladmin -u root -h butler -p password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

Please report any problems with the ./bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

Fine. No problem here, from what I can tell. So I keep going. Step 9 in the manual.
[stage1@butler .www]$ chown -R root mysql
chown: mysql: Operation not permitted

Ok, forget it. Moving on to next step.
[stage1@butler mysql]$ Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/home/stage1/.www/mysql-3.23.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686/data
rm: cannot unlink `/tmp/mysql.sock': Operation not permitted
010401 18:13:05  mysqld ended

[1]+  Done                    bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql

Okej. That doesn't work either.

So I guess I give up yet again, remove everything and start all over for the seventh
time.

*sighing desperatly*

Tatti