"Graham Nichols" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have installed mysql 3.22.32 on our local intranet for testing and it
> runs ok. Then, I transferred the same .tar file to a linux server of the
> 'net and installed as before. When I run ./scripts/safe_mysqld &
> from the mysql-3.22.32 directory I get a message telling me that the
> daemon has started and then it appears to die with a 'mysqld
> daemon ended' message. Does anyone know what may be wrong
> please?

You have to be logged in to the server as the user that MySQL is installed
to run as.  If mysql is installed to run as root, then 'su root', if as user
mysql, 'su mysql'.  It could be a different problem all together, but that's
my first guess.

--
Steve Werby
President, Befriend Internet Services LLC