FYI, I tested MySQL 3.23.36 with the same setup as below.
I got identical results.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ide, Jim
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2001 4:59 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: mysqldump hangs

OpenBSD 2.8
swap partition is 256mb
/tmp partition is 1gb
Pentium III 667mhz, 256mb ram
MySQL 3.22.32 (installed by: pkg_add mysql-3.22.32.tgz)
df reports that I have plenty of free disk space

I have a table that has 422,000 rows, and has a key field defined as:
        integer unsigned not null auto_increment primary key.

I loaded the data into the table from a MS Access 97 database using MyODBC.

mysqld was started with:
        safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

If I type:
        cd /path/to/MyDB
        mysqldump --opt MyDB MyTable > MyTable.backup &
        ls -l MyTable*

mysqldump will start dumping MyTable, and MyTable.backup grows in size.
After about a minute, MyTable.backup stops growing in size (according to ls
-l).
'top' shows that mysqld has over 99% of cpu.  Note that this box is a
dedicated
db server, and no other major processes are running.  Nothing changes after
10,
20, 30 minutes.  After killing mysqldump, mysqld is still at 99% cpu.  I
then
kill -9 mysqld, and cpu % goes to zero.

I have similar behavior when I try to create an index on this table.  For
example,
if I type
        mysql> create index MyIndex on MyTable ( MyField );
'top' shows that mysqld is at 99% cpu, and the index is still not done being
built
after 30 minutes (the identical data is on a linux box, and the index takes
3 minutes
to build.

Any ideas?

Many thanks -