>> Might the NFS dependence be a problem?

>Yes, it could , particularly if you do not have --skip-locking as
>mysqld startup or if some other processes access the files.
>Regards,
>Sinisa

Hi Sinisa,

What does "some other processes access the files" mean? Are you thinking
like automated system backup software, or my own database client
accesses?

"configure" apparently placed -skip-locking into safe_mysqld, so I have
always been running with this option on Linux.

Since Saturday AM,
  - I moved all databases ("/var") onto my /tmp disk,
  - forced table operations to occur 12 times a day,
and cannot replicate the original problem, so stability has returned.

So, either:
  1. should not be using -skip-locking on NFS,
  2. NFS implementation + Linux should not be used (i.e., continue
     using a local disk).

Do I really need -skip-locking on a Linux 2.2.12 kernel?
=> I rolled up a fcntl() test fragment, and it seems to work with
   2 unrelated processes:

     <stuff>
     lk.l_type   = F_WRLCK; /* advisory lock on entire file. */
     fcntl(fd, F_SETLK, &lk)
     <stuff>
     lk.l_type   = F_UNLCK;
     fcntl(fd, F_SETLK, &lk)

I assume "configure" knows best about my system's fcntl() lock
implementation and that it would do the correct thing? Should I
try an NFS usage mode w/o -skip-locking, or will this create
other more serious errors on Linux?

Thanks for the pointers.
Silvio