After installing the server and client RPMs on my RH 7 box and verifying that
everything worked properly as root.  Since I want mysql to run as the mysql user, I
searched for every directory where mysql occurred and changed ownership from root:root
to mysql:root.  I can start safe_mysqld fine and use and modify the test database.  I
cannot, however, use the mysql db at all -- I get an error that says "access denied
for user: '@localhost' to database 'mysql' " when I try to use it.

I haven't had any success so far finding any help in the manual or Monty's book about
this particular condition, so any help is appreciated.

tia,
Brian