Hi all,

We are modifying one of our db  tables to include two fields, 'votes' and
'tally' for allowing to display a "rating" system. The 'votes' column will be a
running total of all votes, the 'tally' will be a column to hold the 'votes'
values. Example, if a person submits a vote of 3(with a range of 1-5), then we
would enter 1 in the 'votes' column and 3 in the 'tally' column. Another person
comes along and votes, they submit a 4. Now we have 2 in the 'votes' column and
7 in the 'tally' column, another person comes along and votes a 4, now we have 3
in the 'votes' and 11 in the 'tally'... and so on.

In the table columns:

votes  tally
*-----|------*
  3     11
*-----|------*

Now we want to display our rating. What I need to do is take the tally divide it
by the number of votes = 3.67 Now can we do this with a SQL query in MySQL and
have it work, something like this:

ROUND((tally / votes),2) AS Rating

which I believe should give me 4...correct?? or would it better to do the
calculations within the script after extracting the column data ??

Mike(mickalo)Blezien
Thunder Rain Internet Publishing
Providing Internet Solutions that work!
http://www.thunder-rain.com