Hi Christopher,

>>I wish to use MySQL as a backend to a Visual Foxpro 6 client application,
>>has anyone got any experience of this ? Does it work ?
We're using MySQL as backend for our VFP6-Application. It's working with the
MyODBC-Driver but you have to take care about memo-fields and boolean
fields. We're no longer use boolean cause it isn't supported by MySQL. So we
changed to the good old fashioned binary value (tinyint in MySQL) with 0 and
1.

Using Memofields is a bit more tricky cause you have to use text or blob in
MySQL to store their content. MySQL has no problems storing it but when
you're trying to get the data back to VFP you can't use a passthrough select
statement. If you do so VFP handles the content of the blob field as an
object, not as text. For this reason you have to use a view. In the view
definition you can change the type for the blob field from object to memo so
it will be displayed right in VFP.

Oh, I almost forgot the nastiest point up to now, the view definition: When
you create a view with VFP the MyODBC-Driver loads down the complete table
content before showing the dialog where you can choose the fields from the
table structure. If you got a tabelle with a million rows (like we do) you
can spend much time in drinking coffee and walking around before you get
this dialog. So create the views on an empty table and fill them after
creating the view.

Greetings from cloudy Germany

Lutz Maibach
EasyCom GmbH