I have not been able to figure this out, yet.  I found the file
/usr/share/mysql/make_binary_distribution and tried a make on it; no
luck.  I scoured the documentation on the web and in my own distribution
and have not been able to find out what to do next.  See Below.  I would
appreciate getting some advise as to where to turn next.
thanks, HARry

I'm trying to set up a database system for the first time.  I installed
mysql-3.23.32-1.7.i386.rpm
on my RedHat Linux version 7.0, but it doesn't seem to have set up correctly.  Is
anyone familiar
with how to proceed from the point of installing this RPM to getting the server
configured and the
daemon started, so as to be able to start the tutorial on the test DB?

In the documentation located here:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/P/o/Post-installation.html, the post
install instructions don't seem to work.

/usr/bin/mysql_install_db gives the following message:
"Didn't find /usr/libexec/mysqld
You should do a 'make install' before executing this script."

Also, I believe I need to be executing the ./mysql_config with some set of arguments
according to
this section of the documentation:  http://www.mysql.com/doc/c/o/configure_options.html

"If you want to compile statically linked programs (for example, to make a binary
distribution, to
get more speed, or to work around problems with some RedHat Linux distributions), run
configure
like this:

       shell> ./configure --with-client-ldflags=-all-static \
                  --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static  "

This document is far too generalized for me to know exactly what to do.  I've tried
bouncing a few
things around, but have not been able to move forward.  Fortunately, I haven't messed
up my
system, yet!

Lost in the Ozone, HARry