From: Sanborn, Ed [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 3:44 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: IT Inventory database needed.

Does anyone out there have a good inventory solution?

I'm in search of a web-based inventory database that will be used by
our internal IS department.  Utilizing MySQL, Perl and/or PHP I'm
trying to build a database that will allow us to track our IT equipment.
I'd like the following features:

Web-based - Solaris/Apache webserver / SQL backend database

Multiple user w/authentication

Ability to have multiple fields tracked (location, assett #, OS type, lease
info, etc.)

I want to have some fields filled in via pull-down menus. For example,
If we have two popular manufacturers (Dell, Sun) I want to have the ability
from
the web browser to click on "Edit Manufacturers" and "edit my manufacturers
list".  After adding, say, Compaq to the list of manufacturers then Compaq
now
appears in the list of Manufacturers when I add a record.  It is selectable
now
as well as the already defined Dell and Sun from the pull-down menu.  Also,
other fields (like popular cpu speeds, amounts of ram, location, OS
versions, etc)
will be similarly utilized.

Add to this, I want to be able to run canned queries like:

Give me all of the assetts in Andover.
Giveme all the assetts in Andover that have WinNT 4.0 Workstation loaded.
Give me all of the assetts in Andover whose maintenance agreement will
expire in the
next 3 months...etc.

Does anyone have work in progress they would like to share?  I have found
a vendor that will sell me such a system but the price is hefty ($25,000+).

-Ed

Ed Sanborn                    (978) 691-6496
Manager of IT, Andover
Alcatel                      fax (509) 277-3056
5 Corporate Drive
Andover, MA. 01923   http://www.alcatel.com