(embarasing subject line typo fixed)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Michael Widenius wrote:

> Hi!

[snip]

> <cut>
>
> Thanks for the clear test case;  This enabled me to find a cast bug
> for 64 bit machines in the regex library.
>
> Here is a patch for this:

[snip]

Thankyou for the patch - it certainly improves the situation (and fixes
the test case I gave) but I seem to have found another problem with regexp
:(

The following test case results in the mysql server taking 100% CPU and
not returning.  Unfortunatly I have not been able to isolate a simpler
regular expression that causes the problem yet.  I will try again
tommorow.

mysql> create table test (xxx char(128));
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> insert into test (xxx)
    -> values('this is some text: to test - out.reg exp (22/45)');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from test where xxx REGEXP

    -> '^this is some text: to test - out\\.reg exp

(Note in the select it is "exp [[(" I inserted the line break)

Stephen