I'm trying to set it up so that I have only 1 entry per user in my
mysql user table.  My users will have the same privileges regardless
of what host they come in from.  There's only 1 database they'll be
working with.  There are 2 users, user "dentry" can add and edit
information in the database named "mydb" and user "dbuser" can only
look at information in the database.

The following setup works.  What I don't like about it is that I had
to add a entries to the mysql user table for localhost so that they
can connect locally as well as remotely.  Ordinarily it will be
localhost connections (via php).

Notice that I'm using blank or empty values for the host in the mysql
user table as well as the mysql db table so that the mysql host table
is what controls where they can connect from.

In order to avoid having 2 entries in the user table, can I have just
1 entry and use the % wildcard for the host?  Then use the empty host
in the db table and let the host table control what hosts they come in
from?

# data entry user; can edit and add to database.
insert into user
  (Host, User, Password)
  values('', 'dentry', password('pw1'));
insert into user
  (Host, User, Password)
  values('localhost', 'dentry', password('pw1'));
# user of the database; can only do selects.
insert into user
  (Host, User, Password)
  values('', 'dbuser', password('pw2'));
insert into user
  (Host, User, Password)
  values('localhost', 'dbuser', password('pw2'));

insert into db
  (Host, Db, User, Select_priv, Insert_priv, Update_priv, Delete_priv,
    Create_priv)
  values('', 'mydb', 'dentry', 'y', 'y', 'y', 'y', 'y');
insert into db
  (Host, Db, User, Select_priv)
  values('', 'mydb', 'dbuser', 'y');

insert into host
  (Host, Db, Select_priv, Insert_priv, Update_priv, Delete_priv, Create_priv)
  values('host1', 'mydb', 'y', 'y', 'y', 'y', 'y');
insert into host
  (Host, Db, Select_priv, Insert_priv, Update_priv, Delete_priv, Create_priv)
  values('host2', 'mydb', 'y', 'y', 'y', 'y', 'y');
insert into host
  (Host, Db, Select_priv, Insert_priv, Update_priv, Delete_priv, Create_priv)
  values('localhost', 'mydb', 'y', 'y', 'y', 'y', 'y');

flush privileges;