TCPwrappers has nothing to do with mysql.
Mysqld manages the port itself.
You do not want tcpwrappers grabbing the port.

Check the path to mysql.sock.
It must be world searchable and readable for the client to write to the
socket.
Read the section of the manual on GRANT privileges.

You are not root.
Unless you specify -u root, you can't do anything.
There are no users that can access the server until you set them up.