Hi,

Just downloaded and installed MySQL-3.23.36-1.i386.rpm from
ftp.mysql.com.  I am running a RH 5.2 server.

1. Is this the correct version from my OS?

2. The install, rpm -i MySQL-3.23.36-1.i386.rpm, seemed to
go ok.  Got two warnings:

setrlimit couldn't increase number of open files to more
than 256
Changed limits: max-connections: 100 table_cache: 73

I don't think any of this is a problem?

3. The output had a reminder to change the output for the
MySQL root user by using /usr/bin/mysqladmin.  This file
does not exist on the system after the install?

4.The server did not run.  Checking the /var/lib/mysql
directory the file <servername.domainname.err> contained:

Fatal error: Can't change to run as user 'mysql' ; Please
check that the user exists!

The user does exist and I can su to user mysql, home
directory of /var/lib/mysql.

Were have I gone wrong.

Thanks

Ken Cole
Manager IT & Communications
Chapman Avionics - A Division of Smiths Industries Australia
Brisbane Airport, Australia
Telephone: +61-7-3860-4411
Facsimile: +61-7-3860-4412
Internet: www.chapav.com.au