I think that the license scheme is very simple reading gnu faq:
If you distribute your software under GPL you and your customer don't need a commercial license but the user can change your code and give it away with a GPL license.
In every other case you need a commercial license.
The point of GPL are:
- full source of all the code
- every work "derived" from the original must be distributed under gpl
- right to modify and distribute all the software (with gpl).

So you can not distribute any software that requires MySql (or other gpl source code) without a GPL license.

Now a question:
Where is the text of commercial license; I have one trouble:
Can I buy a license (1 for each server) and sell my application to a reseller that will sell my application, hardware and technical support to the real customer?

Santino

At 15:09 +0200 11-08-2004, Leonardo Francalanci wrote:
> If you develop a product, say, some kind of online shopping
 system that you
 distribute on a CD which installs Linux, Apache, MysQL, PHP and
 your App and
 distribute that, then you probably should be paying for a license. This is
 because instead of you handing over full code (and it's rights) to the
 client as their property, you are placing licensing limitations on it.

Ok, but if I say to a client (that has his own web server) "you will need to install Mysql on your server to run the site I'm writing for you", will he need a license?