Today it happened again. For the third time in the last two weeks, my user table got
corrupt. I don't know what the problem is

Besides that, the server has also a lot of trouble with the fact that sometimes the
MySQLd just stops functionizing somehow, and the only way to kill the (all child
processes broke down, so i mean the parent) process is 'killall -9 mysqld'. 'kill
<pid>' doesn't work, and '/etc/init.d/mysql stop' neither. Sometimes the whole server
crashes, no SSH/ping, and the only option to get it back only is through the reboot
function that my dedicated server hosting offers me.

If the table gets corrupt, it is always easy to restore with REPAIR TABLE user;
without losing data. Nonetheless i need to find what causes this problem.

Information on the server:
- Dual AMD MP 2600
- 2 GB memory (1st note: checked it with a memory tester, all OK. 2nd note: 500MB
maximum used, so its not that we have too few mem.)
- Debian 3.0 Sarge (Switched to sarge from woody today, didn't solve the problem)
- Linux 2.4.18-sb-smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 27 17:39:37 UTC 2004 i686 unknown

- mysql Ver 11.16 Distrib 3.23.49, for pc-linux-gnu (i686)

I switched today to:

- mysql  Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.18, for pc-linux-gnu (i686)

But that didn't do the trick

I'm using mysql_pconnect (mysql_connect: same probs) from another server (webserver:
AMD MP 2600, 1GB ram). They're not connected internally, so we need to make an
external connection (could that be a problem?).

Errors:

code:------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mysql> CHECK TABLE user;
+-------------+-------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------+

+-------------+-------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| omerta.user | check | warning  | Table is marked as crashed
   |
| omerta.user | check | warning  | 4 clients is using or hasn't closed the table
properly |
| omerta.user | check | error    | Checksum for key: 2 doesn't match checksum for
records |
| omerta.user | check | error    | Corrupt

+-------------+-------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------+

mysql> CHECK TABLE user EXTENDED;
+-------------+-------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------+

+-------------+-------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| omerta.user | check | warning  | Table is marked as crashed
   |
| omerta.user | check | warning  | 4 clients is using or hasn't closed the table
properly |
| omerta.user | check | error    | Record at: 116104  Can't find key for index: 2
   |
| omerta.user | check | error    | Corrupt

+-------------+-------+----------+--------------------------------------------------------+

mysql.err:

code:------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mysqld got signal 11;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked agaist is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail

key_buffer_size=157282304
record_buffer=131072
sort_buffer=2097144
max_used_connections=140
max_connections=500
threads_connected=31
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 1241592 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation
done a couple of myisamchk's and after each MySQL breakdown (so not the one with the
corrupted table, but all the others!) all the tables are not proper closed (but still
usable).

Because logging of all the queries takes about 10GB space/per day, i put that option
off before (now i've put it on again waiting for the next crash).

I don't know what to do! Someone with a clue?

Regards and thanks in advance,

Moritz

Omerta developer (barafranca.com)