on 8/11/04 9:48 PM, Michael Stassen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> With parens:
>
>    SELECT id, name FROM listmail
>    WHERE date_time > DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 30 DAY)
>    AND (subject = 'semaphore'
>      OR subject = 'Re: semaphore'
>      OR subject = 'Re:semaphore')
>    ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 60
>
> Without parens:
>
>    SELECT id, name FROM listmail
>    WHERE date_time > DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 30 DAY)
>    AND subject IN ('semaphore', 'Re: semaphore', 'Re:semaphore')
>    ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 60
>
> These two are perfectly equivalent.  The latter is, of course, the same
> query as in your post.
>
> Why do you expect these 2 queries to be different with respect to SQL
> injection?  It seems to me you need to validate your input either way.
> Perhaps if you reminded us what language you're using, showed us the insert,
> and told us what you mean by making mysql "cranky", someone could help you
> solve that problem.

Thanks!

In regards to the injection, I was just having a hard time escaping the
strings as I wanted them to be, and MySql was not liking what I was up to..

IN "('dadas', 'wewew')"
IN "(\"dadas\", \"wewew\")"
Etc, etc, etc, you get the idea the path I was down :-)

I figured out to simply quote and escape each inner string finally.  I think
I will stick with the IN style, since it is a little cleaner "looking", not
sure about performance.

I tend to not mention the language I am using since I am pretty sure I am
the only one on this list using it.  It is called WebSiphon, it is a little
like php, a little like BASIC, a little like C, my favorite, but not well
known... Yet :-)