On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Jeremy Rice wrote:

> > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc/mysql
> > --localstatedir=/var --enable-shared --enable-static --with-libwrap
> > --with-berkeley-db --enable-thread-safe-client --with-mysqld-user=mysql
> > --with-openssl --with-openssl-includes=/usr/local/ssl/include
> > --with-openssl-libs=/usr/local/ssl/lib
>
> ...I believe you need to enable vio here (--with-vio), as well.

Thanks.  I'll add that one.

> > opensslv.h exists, although I don't know where exactly its looking for it.
> > Any ideas spring into anyone's mind?  The OpenSSL installation is just
> > fine.  Of the dozens of other packages I've compiled against this OpenSSL
> > install (and other identical installs on other servers) everything worked
> > without a hitch except for MySQL.  I'm stumped as to why it's not working
> > though.  Is there some trick to getting MySQL to compile with OpenSSL
> > installed in its default location?
>
> This piece of the make process is BROKEN in MySQL.  (Though MySQL
> themselves will not admit as much.)
>
> My sysadmin spent two days wrestling with this recently.  He can't reply
> to your message at the moment, but he did scribble down some notes that
> may help.  :)
>
> First, you have to add "-L /usr/local/ssl/lib" to ALL your MySQL
> makefiles.  Fun.

I'm overjoyed. :-)  It's a fix though and I'll try it.

> Second, you will run into some problem somewhere with "lex_hash".  In
> that case, you'll need to:
>
>   cd sql
>   rm lex_hash.h gen_lex_hash
>   make lex_hash.h

Hmmm...  That sounds entertaining.  If that's all it takes though it's
worth a shot.

> ...And there may have been some other craziness as well.  There *are*
> messages about this out there... it just takes some digging to find
> them.
>
> Keep at it.  It *is* possible.  ;)

I wonder if RH patched MySQL up when they built it.  Maybe their SRPM
would have a few clues as to what's jacked up and how to fix it.  I think
I'll try disecting that too.  Thanks for all the info.  I'll report back
with a HOWTO if I get a clean fix.

Justin