David Otton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 16/08/2004
13:55:59:

> Hi, hoping someone's come across this before:
>
> I need to replicate data between two copies of MySQL, both running on
> Windows XP.
>
> The amount of data is tiny - maybe 35k a day as an upper bound. It's
> basically monitoring data from a remote device.
>
> The problem is that neither machine is internet-enabled - they both
> have modems in them.
>
> So, what's the best way to run this sequence several times a day?
>
> a) connect to the remote machine via modem
> b) kick off the MySQL replication process
>
> I'm thinking a small VB app, but any pointers gratefully received.
> Google hasn't thrown up much of use, and Windows administration isn't
> really my thing.

I don't think you need to stop/start the replication process. If you set
up the slave to replicate, it will keep trying to reconnect to the master
at intervals - my memory says one minute, but the on-line manual is too
soggy to check at the moment. You can therefore set up replication and
leave it "active" while the modem connection is down. All you need to do
is start up the modem connection at regular intervals and ensure it stays
connected for at least two minutes. Linux users do this with a cron job;
windows has some sort of scheduled task system.

        Alec