We have successfully (and easily) installed multiple versions of MySQL on
Windows and are now trying to do the same on Linux.

We have a Fedora machine successfully running 4.1, but we want to add 5.0 to
it as well.  We installed 4.1 with RPM, so it put a bunch of MySQL files all
over the place.

I've downloaded the 5.0 tar and unpacked it into its own directory, then ran
the install_db script.  It ran OK, but no data files were created in the
mysql or test directories; they're both empty.

Does this sound right?  Is there a step-by-step guide to installing multiple
versions on the same box?  I've been through the docs and while they address
management of multiple, and a vague instruction on installing, it doesn't
appear to be that detailed.

Thanks,

Lou