I guess I must be a dinosaur because I don't use either mysqladmin or
mysqlgui. So I don't know how else to help. Could it be logging in as
something else and THAT account is the one without access to the other
tables?

What do you get when you do a SHOW DATABASES from each client program?

You can see all of the accounts that are logged in to a MySQL server and
what they are currently doing if you run a SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST.  That
may help you to verify that the other programs you are using have their
appropriate privileges.

Also, and this is _not_ just to you but to all others who ask the list for
help,  please always "cc:" the list when you respond to a list response
(unless the message is truly private) . Your problem will be seen by MANY
people and any of them could have seen your situation before. Not only
could your situation and it's resolution be helpful to others, it just
saves time in the long run.

Respecfully,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator