Stuart,

If the field is the only (or first) timestamp-type field in the table
columns, then the record will automatically have the current date/time
inserted when it is added. The only (or first) timestamp field will *also*
be updated every time you update the record.

View the timestamp field in the manual for how to create it.

Cheers
Terry