I had mysql running great on my Gentoo server, but
there was some kind of a problem with my host and my
machine had to be rebooted.  I restart mysql with
/etc/init.d/mysql start (Gentoo syntax), but I'm
having some problems:

localhost / # mysqladmin test
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

localhost / # /etc/init.d/mysql start
 * WARNING:  "mysql" has already been started.

There is no /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock file, and
mysql.err doesn't have anything to say.  Can anyone
help?

- Grant